Frequently Asked Questions

1. I have never shipped freight to the U.S. What do I need?

You need a U.S. Customs broker who will clear your freight.

Once you have a broker, you must contact a cross-border provider that will be able to provide you with a PAPS number. (If you need a referral to a U.S. Customs broker, Service Freight is happy to help).

2. Do I need a customs broker in order to ship to the U.S.?

Yes. The Customs broker will file your shipment electronically and calculate the duties and taxes.

3. What documents do I need in order to ship to the U.S.?

When shipping to U.S. from Canada, the key documents you need are:

  • Commercial Invoice
  • Certificate of Origin
  • Straight Bill of Lading
  • NAFTACertificate of Origin (required for all shipments that qualify under the NAFTA Rules of Origin)

4. Do I need to use H.S codes to classify my freight?

Yes. All commodities must be classified using the tariff number system.

5. Do I need a U.S. carrier in order to move shipments into the U.S.?

No, but you’ll need a carrier that does border crossings.

Whether U.S. or Canadian, the carrier must be a cross border carrier and have a driver that is regulated to cross the border as well.

6. Do I pay duties on my shipment?

Yes. Duties and taxes are applicable on most shipments. Your Customs broker will be able to advise you of the duties and rebates for which you may be eligible.

7. With the “Free Trade Agreement” does this mean my freight crosses the border for free?

No. The Free Trade Agreement simply refers to certain tariffs and duties that no longer apply between trade partners.

8. Do I need country of origin markings on my freight?