Frequently Asked Questions

I have never shipped freight to Canada. Where do I start?

First, you’ll need a Canadian Customs broker to clear your freight.

Once you have a broker, you must contact a cross-border provider that will be able to provide you with a PARS number. (If you need a referral to a Canadian Customs broker, Service Freight is happy to help.)

Do I need a customs broker in order to ship to Canada?

Yes. The Customs broker will file your shipment electronically and also calculate the duties and taxes you must pay.

What paperwork is required to ship freight into Canada?

You’ll need a Customs invoice and a Certificate of origin/NAFTA agreement. If you need help with your paperwork, your customs broker can explain in detail.

Do I need a Canadian carrier in order to move shipments into Canada?

No, but you do need a carrier that does border crossings. Not all do.

Whether U.S. or Canadian, the carrier must be a cross border carrier and have a driver that is approved to cross the border as well.

Do I need to use H.S codes to classify my freight?

Yes. All commodities shipped must be classified using the tariff number system.

Do I pay duties on my shipment?

Yes. Duties and taxes are applicable on most shipments. Rely on your customs broker to guide you on the duties and rebates for which you may be eligible.

With the NAFTA “Free Trade Agreement” does my freight cross the border for free?

No. The Free Trade Agreement simply refers to certain tariffs and duties that no longer apply between trade partners.

Do I need country of origin markings on my freight?